Further in the article we will talk in detail about the methods of marketing research on the network.
A survey is the most common data collection method in both offline and online marketing research. It accounts for 90% of all ongoing research. It is a method of collecting information by asking questions to a specific group of people. The main objective of the survey is to find out the opinion of consumers, their beliefs, preferences and attitudes towards a product, service or brand. The survey method allows you to solve many marketing problems – from identifying potential consumers to tracking consumption dynamics and evaluating the effectiveness of marketing programs.
Two main types of survey:
- Questioning is a form of survey, during which the respondent himself fixes the answers. On the Internet, surveys are carried out through surveys on websites (the aforementioned online panels) using the base of respondents, mailing lists to consumers of certain categories of products, etc.;
- Interviewing – on the Internet, it is similar to a survey. The respondent responds in detail to the questions posed, having no answer options. For this, online chat is used: synchronous video chat or asynchronous chat, which is connected through special online services.
Among the most popular online survey services are: Google Forms, Survey Monkey, Simpoll, Anketolog, Online Test Pad, Typeform, SurveyLub, Surveynuts, Examinare.
The interview is an effective method of narrative research. As part of an in-depth interview, a certain number of participants are taken, who are interviewed for a long time. This allows you to create portraits of customers, draw various scenarios for a customer journey map, and analyze business processes that affect their satisfaction with the product.
2. Online focus groups
The focus group format is an ideal option for research when there is no opportunity to meet with respondents in person. The method allows you to expand the geography of research and reduce the time of their implementation. This is the best way to get quality information online. Different audiences of respondents are available for study, it is possible to involve a “hard-to-reach” audience in the survey.
The advantages of online focus groups are many, they are:
- their easy organization – on the Internet it is easy to gather a group of people who meet certain parameters;
- no need to look for a location to accommodate people;
- psychological freedom of online focus group participants – people are in their familiar environment and feel comfortable;
- frankness and honesty – unrestricted respondents will answer sincerely;
- independence – participants do not influence each other’s opinions.
Focus groups can be conducted via video link or in writing. The written format has the disadvantage that it is difficult to follow the main motives of the participants without making eye contact. Less money is spent on such research. There may be difficulties in recruiting participants. Sometimes focus groups may include people who do not meet the requirements due to partial anonymity.
Chat and forum are the two main types of focus groups on the web. More about them:
- chat is done in real time. To do this, participants register on a special resource. Then there is a discussion with the moderators of certain topics, before that a list of questions is prepared. In the process of communication, other questions may arise. The chat format is used in cases where there is very little time to make a decision;
- a forum on the Internet can be organized with a large number of participants and allocate more time for it. During the forum process, participants answer questions, comment on others, and share opinions. The survey runs for 3-5 days. Participants can choose a convenient time to visit the forum. Allowing sufficient time for discussion allows participants to reflect on their response. Thanks to this, you can get balanced information.